Monday, November 9, 2009

Conducting Difficult EUOs


I'll be on Long Island next week Tuesday and Wednesday for NYACT's 2-Day Education Conference for Insurance Claims and SIU Personnel.  I'm speaking on Wednesday morning, November 18th, on Conducting Difficult EUOsMy three-hour presentation will include sample EUO written materials and 11 videotaped and open-captioned vignettes of situations that sometimes arise during EUOs of no-fault and property insureds and claimants.  The cast of the unscripted and one-take videos includes my partner, Scott Storm, playing various roles from the tape-recording and early-departing insured to the obstructionist attorney.  With my daughter playing the role of the court reporter, here's an example of one of the vignettes:



Whether you conduct EUOs yourself or do the work leading up to the EUO, this presentation is designed to present and discuss methods of dealing with common obstacles to successfully completing EUOs -- success being defined as obtaining the information being sought in the EUO.  It is also useful for insurance professionals who conduct recorded interviews. 

We'll also be discussing recent New York case law regarding no-fault EUOs and the New York State Insurance Department's Office of General Counsel Opinion Letter No. 09-06-10, entitled "Examinations Under Oath of Assignees".

If you're a regular reader of Coverage Counsel and are able to make the conference, be sure to stop up and introduce yourself.

3 comments:

David M. Gottlieb said...

Can I go?

Roy A. Mura said...

As the swallows return to Capistrano each year, your interest in attending this program is dependable almost to the day, Dave.

Not my call to make, you know, but the program's title probably disqualifies you. Unless, of course, you're thinking of switching teams...

David M. Gottlieb said...

I'm pretty sure no one would want me on their team, even if I were to switch. And assuming they did, I'd think they were insane. I'd make a terrible defense attorney.

I think I like the idea of trying to sneak in more than actually trying to sneak in.