Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Why I Haven't Been Blogging

Since mid-November I've been occupied with getting ready for and trying this, this, this, this and this.  Yes, the trial judge really did call my client's intentional acts defense "incomprehensible".  We'll see what the jury thinks.  Deliberations and verdict should come tomorrow.

Update ~~ December 13, 2011

After another day of trying the case against two lawyers, one to my side and one in front of me on the bench, the jury swiftly returned a verdict for the plaintiff.  Final two news stories are here and here.  I guess in the end it didn't matter that I was able to get both plaintiff's experts to concede that they could not definitively say that the largest of the three areas of fire origin was electrical in cause (because they couldn't say that the sections of BX cable they found in the largest area of origin nearly two years after the fire were actually connected to anything and energized at the time of the fire).  And despite plaintiff's expert having offered a new and different theory of fire spread and ignition at trial, the judge refused to let me recall my fire origin and cause expert as a rebuttal witness.

My client is considering an appeal.  The damages trial starts January 17, 2012. 

1 comment:

Larry Rogak said...

The number one cause of fires, is fire insurance. I suspect that the policies are printed on special paper which ignites when the owner starts operating at a loss.