Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The 25 Greatest Legal Movies

Earlier this year, the ABA Journal asked 12 lawyers who teach film or are con­nected to the business to choose what they regard as the best movies ever made about lawyers and the law. Their nominations were collated into a top 25 list, which you can review here.

I was glad to see that not only did My Cousin Vinny make the list, but it ranked as #3 behind To Kill A Mockingbird and 12 Angry Men. I show My Cousin Vinny each year at the end-of-the-season wrap-up/party for the high school mock trial team that I coach. Briefest and best opening statement ever. And I can't decide whether DA Trotter's voir "dye-er" of general automotive knowledge expert Miss Mona Lisa Vito or Vinny Gambini's "Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than anywhere else on the face of the earth?" cross-examination of Sam Tipton is better.

Guess I'm not alone in using My Cousin Vinny as a pedagogical tool.

No comments: